Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Canning fresh vegetables

This year I plan to discover new things. Last year I canned bread and butter pickles. This year I have tried my hand at canning green beans. I just heard the wonderful sound of one jar sealing and I have 2 more to go! Love it! If you would I have told me 5 years ago would I be canning fresh veggies today, I would have said who me??? After watching us plant a garden year after year and have a bountiful crop of fresh veggies that we could not possibly eat all by ourselves. I said I needed to learn how to can or preserve my food other than freezing, which is not always the best way to preserve some fruits and veggies. This year my goals in canning is to can fresh apples, applesauce, and make my own salsa. Today I canned green beans, I don't have a pressure canner, I process my veggies in a large soup like pot in boiling water. For the green beans I canned today I used the following recipe:



How to can Green Beans by Raw Pack

  • Wash green beans and remove ends.
  • Cut or break into 1 inch pieces.
  • Pack tightly into canning jars.
  • Add 1/2 teaspoon salt for pint jars.
  • Add one teaspoon salt for quart jars.
  • Cover with boiling water.
  • Leave 1 1/2 inch head space.
  • Seal jars.
  • Process in pressure canner at 10lbs pressure.
  • Pints for 20 minutes.
  • Quarts for 25 minutes.

If you have a garden why not try canning today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment